Wednesday 1 January 2014

Letter to Juliet

Caution: This post is full of cheesiness I warn you.

My final task for Survey in English Literature: Elizabethan-Victorian Period. I could not think of anything easier than writing a letter to Juliet like in Letters to Juliet movie. I could not bear reading my own writing like wtf did I write. Anyway I just feel like sharing my writing here lol
This is a work of fiction.


Dear Juliet,

          Your love story has been known as one of the most tragic ones all over the world. For you have sacrificed everything for the sake of your love. So I am writing to you now cause I heard that many people sent you letters and they got replied. Well, I guess it is not a bad idea to share my story to you, for you have gone through the same thing and might be the one who understand. Here is my story..
          He was my highschool sweetheart. I was in the 2nd grade of Senior High School and he was my new classmate. I knew him since the 1st grade but I only know his name, I mean, we didn’t know each other, he didn’t even know my name at that time. He was sitting 2 tables away from me and I found myself looking at him several times, not sure whether I was just curious or he was attractive back then. Thanks to the seating arrangement, he moved closer, right in front of me. I still remember the very first time he gave me a friendly smile and introduce himself, and also the very first time I looked at his lively brown eyes..
          I officially fell for him right at the moment he played Maksim Mrvica’s Claudine in front of me, or to be precise, for me, cause I asked him to. He even taught me how to play Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star. I guess guys with an ability to play either piano or guitar are just irresistible, and he play both. It may sound cheesy but he looked 200% more attractive when he played either piano or guitar. I guess you’d agree with me. Moreover, he has bright personality and could make everyone like him by the time they talked to him. To be cheesy, he was so lovable.
          We got closer each day as we listened to same kind of music. He said he loved oldies songs and I remember the day we made a list of our favorite songs. I put Barry Manilow’s Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head on the list and he added Can’t Smile Without You after that. Turned out he still kept the paper months later.
          I liked him so much that I even ignored the fact that I was not allowed to fall in love with him. I tried not to be too close but.. yeah, you just could not control your heart desire. So I let myself lost. Completely lost and ignored everything. I loved him. That was what matters at that time.
           Turned out he liked me too, and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I knew the consequences, but still, I ignored everything. Let’s say I was completely blinded by my heart desire. The days after might be hard, but it would be harder to pretend that I did not want him, so I said yes to him, and I was so happy that I did not want to think about how tomorrow would be. Que sera sera.
          You are way luckier than me, Juliet. It was only your parents. For me, the whole world and even my God (they said) were against us. To fall in love with him was a sin, that was what they said. Were they true? I mean love is sacred. How could they said I commited a sin by falling in love with a guy? Then I wondered, if I could directly talk to God, would He slap my face and told me that I had taken the wrong way? Would He? What do you think, Juliet?
          In the end, you are the one to be judged. In my place, everything is decided by society. You could break the rule but the consequences are all yours to bear. Nobody gave their blessing for my relationship, not even the ones I love the most. They were all against my happiness.
I wish I could do something to save my relationship, but I was not that brave to take the consequences. I could not bear people’s bad words about him any longer, I let him go, for good. I felt so miserable I was even mad at God for writing such story as my fate. World was so unfair. I bet you felt the same.
However, life goes on and I am totally fine by now. Thank God I did not choose to end my life like you did, actually not even once I thought I would. Although I loved him so much, nothing is bigger than my love for my parents.
Looking forward to your reply :)


Much love,

Riri

No comments:

Post a Comment